It seems that at least once a day I hear the phrase, "You've got your hands full." Mike has noticed this phenomenon too. Just the other night, we were eating at a "real" restaurant with all the kiddies--a first since the baby has exited the infant car seat. On our way out a man said, "My, you two have your hands full." I'm sure in some way our lovely children probably ruined his lovely meal with his lovely companion and that was his way of saying, "Don't take your wicked children to another restaurant within 100 miles of here." I thought they did pretty good. Mike and I were both sweating bullets by the end of the meal and we couldn't get the check fast enough, but we did it. I asked Mike why he thought people kept saying this to us (grocery store, soccer games, school...) He started laughing and said, "It's true." Yep, it is.
I wish I had more time to be a better friend, volunteer more, go more places by myself, do more service, cook better meals, host more parties, watch more movies, get my graduate degree, finish writing my book (no laughing at that one--you know who you are), sew all the quilts I have planned, learn to can food (okay, I might not actually do that one if I had time), take more pictures, squeeze in some exercise time, and copy all the fun stuff out of the Pottery Barn catalog.
I also wish I wasn't "that mom" who always forgets things like sunscreen, baby wipes, snacks, tissues, my camera, and occasionally the children's shoes. Honestly, it takes so much effort to get out the door these days, that I'm destined to forget at least one thing every time. Thanks to all the wonderful moms who have donated to our cause.
Despite all the things I wish I could do, I never forget what EVERYONE with older children tells me: the time goes too quickly. They will be big so soon. I won't have a baby who begs to be held or a little boy who always wants "just one more story." It is busy. It is hard. Other people don't always get it. But I don't mind. This is better than I could have possibly imagined it.
1 comment:
I feel like I can identify with everything you said in that post. It truly does take so much effort to even LEAVE the house and definitley a miracle when everyone actually makes it home afterwards.
Post a Comment